Hello Third Grade Families,
I am so excited to teach your children this year! I know it will be a wonderful year of learning and fun. Here are some upcoming events and details before the year starts:
1. Open House: If you would like to visit our classroom before school begins , please stop by on Thursday, August 31st from 3-4pm in the third grade room. If you already have your school supplies and would like to drop them off early, you are welcome to bring them during this time. It would be great to see you before school starts!
2. Supply Drop-off: If you have your supplies ready and would like to drop them off before the first day of school, you may also stop by on Tuesday, September 5th from 3-4pm.
3. First Day of School: Our first day of school for first grade is Wednesday, September 6th. Doors open to our classroom at 7:45 a.m. each morning. Students should arrive in our classroom at least 5 minutes early each morning to prepare for our school day which begins promptly at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m. I will greet students at the door. If you would like to meet with me, please e-mail me and I will be more than happy to set up a conference. It would be best if I could focus on greeting students at the beginning of the day.
4. School Uniforms: Students are expected to be in full uniform for their first day of school. Our uniforms have changed a bit this year. Students may now wear socks and shoes of their choosing. They may also have painted nails and their hair colored. If any of these become a distraction in the classroom, the students will be asked to no longer wear that item. (For example, no light-up shoes, please!) If you would like to look through the uniform closet before school starts, please let me know.
5. Fidgets: Please do not send your children with fidget spinners. They have become more of a toy than a tool for learning. I have a box of other fidgets available and flexible seating in my classroom this year, which can help students who need more movement.
6. Healthy Snacks and Lunch: Our healthy snack policy is one reason many families love Cascade Heights! A fresh bottle of water and snacks like pretzels, whole wheat crackers, low sugar, low fat yogurt, fresh vegetables, or fruit will help minds and bodies work their best. We also strive to be "zero-waste" which means we do not impact the environment by throwing away packaging each day. A cloth sandwich wrapper rather than a Ziploc bag, a permanent water bottle that can be washed each day rather than disposable water bottles. We study the importance of protecting our earth and we want to practice what we teach. Our school has a "pack it in, pack it out" policy, where every student brings home what they did not eat in their lunch. In third grade, we have a morning snack, lunch, and then an option for an afternoon snack during recess. Please pack accordingly; we work and play hard and need lots of nutritious food! If you are in need of reusable Tupperware or sandwich containers, please let me know.
7. Back To School Night: Mark your calendars! Back to School Night is Thursday, September 7th from 6:30-7:30 PM. This event is an important time to come and learn about the classroom procedures, rules, policies, and general schedule. I will also have a conference sign-up, field trip chaperone sign-up and instructions for signing up for Class Dojo.
8. Supply List
I am using Mrs. Gausman's supply list from last year.
3 reams of paper has been changed to 1 ream of paper.
1 Art supply item has been changed to 1 Sharpie
(I realize these are last minute changes, whatever you bring will be extremely helpful. Thank you!)
1 handheld pencil sharpener
1 Red & 1 Green plastic folder
3 wide rule spiral notebooks
24 ct Crayons
16 ct Colored pencils
1 pair of scissors
Zipper pencil pouch (no pencil boxes)
1 Reusable water bottle w/pop top
1 1" 3-ring binder with clear-view cover (no color preference)
2 packs- 5 tab dividers
12 count glue sticks
3 doz Ticonderoga pencils
4 doz blue or black ballpoint pens (no clicky pens, please!)
1 package card stock paper (white or any color)
1 ream white copy paper
1 black Sharpie
1 post-it notes
3 dozen dry erase markers
12 ct Crayola markers
girls- 1 lg tub antibacterial wipes
(1) 70 page wide rule Spiral notebooks
1 folder with pockets
(1) 70 page wide rule Spiral notebooks
1 folder with pockets (not red or green, please)
1 package of pens (black, blue, or red)